Monday, January 16, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR!!

Today is the birthday of the great civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  If you don't know about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or people like Medgar Evers or Rosa Parks, then you would have had to be living under a rock.



We were out of school today and all the libraries and government building were closed to honor Dr. Martin Luther King.  As we drove to the orthodonist.   So that I could be fitted for my spacers, we listen to K-Love and they were talking about some of the great things that Dr. King did in his life time.  That got me to thinking about him and I asked my mother questions about him and that time during the African American Civil Rights Movement.  My mother wasn't even born then, I don't think but she's read a lot about those days.


There was something called Jim Crow in the Southern States of America.  An many Whites did not want Blacks to have the same freedoms and comforts like the ability to vote, a good education, nice and safe places to live, good hospitals and other basic things that people need to live well and to be happy.  I don't know why these Whites were so against the Blacks having these things other than hate and my mother said something about resources and the need for some of the Whites to need to feel superior. Although God loves us all the same and made all of us in his image.

The Blacks and even some other Whites got sick and tired of the way things were and they began to protest by having sit-ins, and boycotts.  Things got really nasty and became worse for the Blacks after this and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and others began to do something about it. 

My mother said one of the things that made Dr. King exceptional was that he was a Godly man and lead his protest without violence. Because of Dr King, people like my grandfather who came here from Calcutta to go to a University, well people like him were able to enjoy the privileges that Dr. King and other Civil Rights Movement Workers died for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment