Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Saint Patrick's Day Surprise

Happy St. Patrick's Day. Like most cities ours had a celebration and streets were blocked off making it hard to get from one side of the city to another. Everyone wore green. My mother said that she wondered if most of these people knew the real story of St. Patrick? 
She's told me the story before but I listened again today as she told it while we were stuck in the St. Patrick's Day traffic.

After dinner my dad took me to the grocery store down the street. We bought chips and candy bars. While walking through the parking lot, I saw this.



At first I thought it was an old can than had been run over and the red juice spilled out, or an oddly-shaped napkin. But when I took a closer look, I found that it was indeed not an old can, or a dirty napkin. And that the red stuff around it was NOT juice. This, my friend is road kill. I think it's a mouse, but I'm not really sure. I'm not used to seeing roadkill. Once, while riding in our car with my parents I saw this deer that was hit and laying on the side of the road. It's legs were going the wrong way, and its eyes were wide open.

Oh, and another time I saw a flat groundhog on the road, once again, while riding in the car with my parents.

Again, I'm asking, is this a mouse? It's body is really long. It has a tail, but it's basically old flesh and bones. I also saw tire marks on it.
When I was in second grade, my friend told me about these kits you can get. They contain animal bones, like mouse bones, and you can play around with them. That sounds horrible, but it's probably not as bad as it seems.

 

Happy scouting!


No comments:

Post a Comment